Author Topic: Dover Engineering Works  (Read 17876 times)

andy peal

Re: Dover Engineering Works
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2010, 00:17:09 »
I can recall other places in Peter Street or near to it.There was a dance hall and, i think, a coal merchant's yard.There was Castle's scrap merchants,the owner lived in Salisbury Road.If i remember right a street called Springfield Gardens led off Peter Street.Prior to demolition we found an empty house with the gas still connected and we made some lead weights for fishing on an old stove(and turned the gas off afterwards).This place was right next to the River Dour and had a veranda out over the stream.D.E.W. would have taken most of this area.
Somewhere close by w
as a sawmill where we would get sacks of sawdust etc probably for someone's rabbit hutches.
got a old street map of dover & springfield gardens is off peter street,also st.catherines place which was near the dour it a great map but ive been told i cant put it on here due to copyright,that place next  to the river dour that had a veranda over the stream im sure ive seen a picture of that at work maybe kids playing on it

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2010, 00:04:40 »
I can recall other places in Peter Street or near to it.There was a dance hall and, i think, a coal merchant's yard.There was Castle's scrap merchants,the owner lived in Salisbury Road.If i remember right a street called Springfield Gardens led off Peter Street.Prior to demolition we found an empty house with the gas still connected and we made some lead weights for fishing on an old stove(and turned the gas off afterwards).This place was right next to the River Dour and had a veranda out over the stream.D.E.W. would have taken most of this area.
Somewhere close by was a sawmill where we would get sacks of sawdust etc probably for someone'
;s rabbit hutches.

Offline unfairytale

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 31
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2010, 23:52:42 »
Great pictures andy peal.
Here's a section of the river Dour that ran under the site. it was uncovered by the builders of the new supermarket so they could reinforce the carpark.
When you've got your back to wall, there's only one thing to do and that's to turn around and fight. (John Major)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unfairytale/sets/

andy peal

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2010, 23:38:34 »

a few more left to put on soon

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2010, 11:49:05 »
Andy, in the 2 pictures of Bridge St. the man with the funny measuring device is, I believe, Fred Akehurst the foreman of the building and maintainence gang DEW. He was seeing how far the corrugated fence had to come out for the demolition. The sign on the side of the bakers shop points towards Castle,s scrap dealers next to the" Friend in Need" in Peter St. The little side door led into the bakehouse, hot rolls at 6am 3d for 6. My relative lived in the house with the fence sticking out.Derek.

Offline TowerWill

• Established Member
  • Appreciation 24
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 23:30:53 »
Hi Gareth,that is me.Our friends in Wales say unemployment is very high over there.About the only sign of heavy industry was some sort of steelworks near Newport.Our train back failed at Didcot:not much difference from the Nationalised B.R. there!
I see there's lots of new info about D.E.W. Very interesting stuff and nice photos.

andy peal

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 20:17:37 »
I seem to recall that there was an annual Christmas punch up between the DEW lads and the Scaffolders Andy Peal! No pictures of that I s'pose...... :)
never herd of that paul  :)

Offline Islesy

• Appreciation 42
    • National Three Peaks Challenge 2012, raising funds for Help for Heroes
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 19:38:47 »
I seem to recall that there was an annual Christmas punch up between the DEW lads and the Scaffolders Andy Peal! No pictures of that I s'pose...... :)
Three Peaks Challenge 2012 - raising funds for Help for Heroes
www.bmycharity.com/Islesy

andy peal

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 19:27:50 »

andy peal

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 19:25:31 »

andy peal

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 19:19:46 »
got a copy of the photo  off keith at work,the ones i know off it are bob canon roy gatehouse alan robinson ted belsey  ted beresford

Offline delboy

• Appreciation 23
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 17:36:35 »
Andypeal I,m on Peter,s right side and George Roberts is on his left. The guy with the top hat is George Castle. I like the invation to Bob West from Mr Elkington' he ran the engineering shop when I was there.. There used to be a annual dinner and dance at the town hall every year and Vivian Elkington used to stand  in the entrance with his wife and shake everyones hand as you went in.I was a "local" driver and we were attcd to the stores dept. under Len Westmoreland.Keith has this pic so he should be able to name most of them. If theres anyone you want to know and if I can remember their name I,ll try and point them out. Smashing pictures.delboy

andy peal

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 20:08:17 »

andy peal

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 19:47:50 »

bottom one is an ashtray

andy peal

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 19:39:51 »